Oklahoma Trucking Laws

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (Title 49, Parts 350-399) govern all vehicles engaged in interstate traffic.

There are some situations where a tractor-trailer or other commercial motor vehicle is involved in only intrastate travel. For example, an appliance store in Oklahoma City may own a truck that only makes in-state deliveries.

The Oklahoma City Department of Public Safety has adopted Title 49, Parts 382-384 and 390-399 of the federal regulations.

The following provisions are an overview of Oklahoma laws that affect trucks operating only in Oklahoma:

Driver Qualification

Oklahoma has adopted Part 391 of the Federal Regulations with some modifications. A driver in intrastate commerce must be at least 18 years old; 21 years old for the transportation of hazardous waste materials in a quantity requiring placarding or marking.

Hours of Service

Oklahoma has adopted Part 395 of the Federal Regulations. However, 12 hours of driving time is allowed if the vehicle is engaged solely in intrastate commerce and is not hauling hazardous materials required to be marked or placarded.

To request relief from the hours of service regulations in an emergency, drivers should contact the Troop Commander, Department of Public Safety.

Crash reports are available from:

Department of Public Safety
Records Management Division
P.O. Box 11415
Oklahoma City, OK 73136

Avvo Rating - 10
Super Lawyers
Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
Thomson West Author
National Board of Trial Advocacy
As seen on CNBC
As seen on CBS
As seen on ABC